WELCOME TO BYUCOUGARLADYUTE

This site is for sharing and recording the life of the "never know what will happen next" Taylor Family.

Why do we call it BYUCOUGARLADYUTE? Simple. Andy's blood runs very true blue, very BYU. Mine? Well, it runs purple. Over five years ago, we decided to go back to school. Andy to BYU and an MBA, and I went to the U for an MFA.

Mostly this blog is about our kids: Ally, Manda and Will!

Ally and Mandy

Thursday, May 08, 2008

It was a frustrating soccer game for Ally last night. First, it was wet and cold. Second, have you seen that movie with Will Ferrell about the soccer coaching? Well, the little pink panthers were up against a coach like Will Ferrell's dad last night. This league is a recreational league and Ally's group is ages 6-8. They are simply learning the very basics of soccer like learning to pass, dribble and score. The pink panthers have done well with all those things and the games have been fun. However...



The team they played last night practices double what the other teams do (and double the league guidelines), the coach wore a uniform (yes-at first I laughed at him), he carried a whistle (yes-I laughed again), and he taught the girls to pass and dribble very well. But he also has taught them to push, shove, kick, tease, brag, and say the other team is stupid and lazy. I couldn't believe it. It was all Andy could do to not loose it and I don't blame him. So, after the game one of the other team parents came over and tried to talk to our parents stating that although this other team played tough-they were following soccer rules. They didn't know who they were talking to...



Andy very calmly yet firmly explained the rules of soccer having played it himself for over 8 years in competitive leagues in Seattle. After some back and forth, the parent walked away with a little more information and maybe a bit of doubt of what his daughter had learned this year. Andy explained that the coach was teaching them to foul and that most of the goals would have been called back. I was really proud that he was able to hold his cool in that tough situation.



Ally learned how competitive people can get. We talked on the way home about whether it is okay to win at all costs. She decided that while she likes winning--she never would play outside the rules and would rather have friends than have to win all the time.



Oh well. Above are some photos I took at a different, happier game. (With my cool new camera!!) Enjoy!!

8 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Wow! It's unbelievable how some people can act. I've seen coaches like that too--only I don't think the kids were quite that young. I think that the coach will live to regret what he is doing when these girls grow up and become the "mean girls" in school. Good for Ally and Andy!!

rhondas view said...

yes, the beginnings of many things- fun, frustration. cuteness, ugliness. kindness, inconsideration...all components of competitive sports.
honestly, it's hard for the kids- but harder for the parents.
hang tight and stand tall! love ya!
great job alexa!!!
p.s. i saw grandma sue and mandy, too...fun!

Erka said...

So frustrating! I would have had a hard time keeping my cool, ESPECIALLY because I know a thing or two about soccer! Andy really is a very good person to be able to stay calm at a time like that!
Just from the photos I can tell that Ally is really good at and enjoys soccer! Is she wearing contacts now?

Dani said...

Crazy. We've seen a coach or two like that before too. Not too fun. Way to handle it the right way! BTW... I'm also laughing at the coach wearing a uniform and whistle!

Michelle Starrs said...

I love sports but every once in a while you get some goober who takes him-or her-self WAY too seriously! I am glad that Andy was able to politely set that parent straight!
Good for Ally to want to play nice and not always win. I always knew she was a smart girl ;)
Did the coach have "Coach K" on his uniform? or whatever letter, one of my weirdo cheer coaches wanted us to call her "coach k" lame... anyway, we love you! xoxo

Wrangler Ron said...

Great photos. Right on Andy and Candice in the way you handled a very difficult situation. I'm very proud of you.
You are great parents and you make us very proud.

rochelle said...

Good job Ally for deciding that having friends is more important than always winning. Obviously, some people never learn that. I'm glad Andy was there and was able to handle the situation so well.

Elisa said...

Oh my goodness, I would have lost it. I just don't have the patience for such like that. It may be a bad thing to my kids in organized city leagues! Matt will have to hold me down!